Who to Notify When Moving Your Home or Residence?

View as PDF


This article outlines some of the main people and organisations that should be notified when moving your home or residence.


Places to tell when moving places


Moving your home or residence can often be a difficult and complicated process as it involves more than moving possessions from one place to another. Notifying certain people and places about the change in address is a crucial step when moving residence. Ideally, it is best to inform the relevant people and authorities about the change in address before moving (or as soon as possible thereafter) to avoid potential issues from arising, such as missing bills and having to pay a late fee.


A. Australian Post Office


The Australian Post Office offers a service to redirect mail after an individual changes his or her postal address for a set period of time. This means that any mail sent to your previous address will be automatically redirected to your new address. Redirecting mail with Australia Post can be done online and will start three days after the form has been submitted.


When applying for mail redirection, individuals can also choose to allow Australia Post to let other service providers know about the change in address.


B. Federal Government Authorities / Agencies


There are several government authorities and/or agencies that need to know about the change in address. In some cases, failure to notify may result in a penalty such as a fine. The most important government authorities and/or agencies include:


    • The Australian Tax Office (ATO) – details can be updated online on their website here.
    • The Australian Electoral Commission – details can be updated online on their website here.
    • The Department of Human Services (including Centrelink and Medicare) – more information about updating details can be found on their website here.
    • The Department of Veterans’ Affairs – more information about updating details can be found on their website here.


C. Roads and Maritime Services


An individual must inform Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) about their change in address within 14 days. After informing them, RMS will update the individual’s vehicle registration and licence details. They will then post ‘new address labels’ that can be stuck on the back of a driver licence, photo card and/or registration certificates.


An individual can update his or her details online on the RMS website here. However, this can only be done by people who have:


    • Less than 10 registered vehicles in their name; and/or
    • No restrictions on their driver licence or photo card.


Individuals who do not meet this criteria will have to either visit a service centre or phone RMS.


D. Banks and Financial Institutions


It is important for an individual to inform his or her bank and other financial institutions such as credit card companies and lenders about the change in address. This is important because financial institutions need to have current details for identity and record purposes. Generally, most banks and financial institutions allow an individual to update their details online or over the phone.


E. Employer and Superannuation Fund


When moving places, it is a good idea for a person to let their employer know about the change in address. This is so that the employer has accurate records and can fill in the correct details on employment-related forms (such as PAYG summaries). Similarly, an individual should also update their details for their superannuation account.


F. Insurance Providers


Insurance providers should be informed about the new address so that they can update their records with the correct contact information and send their bills to the new address. It should also be noted that for some insurers, knowing about the change of address is important as insurance policies (and costs) may depend on the area that the individual lives in.


G. Education Institutions


Schools, colleges and/or universities need to be informed of the change in address so that they have updated records and are able to send any paperwork or communication (such as tuition bills and reports) as required to the correct address.


H. Utilities


Service providers should be informed of the change in address so that they can be cancelled or transferred to the new location. Important utilities (service providers) include:


    • Electricity
    • Gas
    • Water
    • Phone, cable and internet


I. Clubs, Organisations and Subscriptions


An individual should also notify any clubs and/or organisations that they are members of or have subscriptions with so that any mail or correspondence is sent to the correct address.


J. Other Entities


These entities may also need updating of address:


    • Doctor
    • Dentist
    • Lawyer
    • Accountant or financial adviser
    • Share and investment companies
    • Debtors
    • Health fund memberships
    • Stores
    • Lease or hire companies



Comasters Law Firm can advise and assist clients with notifying relevant people and authorities about their new address

© Comasters September 2019.


Important: This is not advice. Clients should not act solely on the basis of the material contained in this paper. Our formal advice should be sought before acting on any aspect of the above information.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Comasters Law Firm and Notary Public is a commercial legal practice in Sydney. We conduct matters in a range of legal areas. Whilst based in Sydney, Comasters maintains close links with business people across the Asia Pacific region.

You have Successfully Subscribed!